Avian Compatibility Database
Due to new security settings in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari the database now is presented in a .zip file. You will need to click on the link at right and either extract the information or download the file to your computer. Any .zip program (WinZip, 7-zip, etc.) will be able to extract the database.
Instructions for database usageThings to remember when using the database:
- This database contains information on species that have been attempted in other institutions and are not necessarily deemed as compatible
- When viewing the tables, any ‘+’ symbols located in the far left column may be clicked on to see additional information that may be specific to your needs.
- Species are listed by scientific name
- Click on the Microsoft Access icon above
- The program will ask if you want to block unsafe expressions, click ‘no’
- On the security warning page, click ‘open’
- The main page will appear in a smaller window with several table options listed. The only ones pertaining are: aggressor species, aviary specifications, and 3 tables of species selection listings
- Any of these tables can be viewed separately
To search possible compatibility by a specific species:
- Select the appropriate species specifications table and double click to open
- Find the species name at the top of the column by scrolling across the top of the table.
- Checked boxes indicate tried species
To search by aviary/find information on aviary specifics:
- Select ‘aviary specifications’ on the main page
- Scroll down to find the aviary name. Aviary information is on this page. Clicking on the ‘+’ to the far left will give you aviary composition and dominance hierarchy.
To create your own search:
This option can be used to combine information from separate tables. You cannot combine information from the aggressor species table and any of the species selection tables.
- On the main window, click on ‘queries’ tab to the far left in the small screen
- Double click ‘create query using wizard’
- Select the table which you want information from
- Select the fields of information you would like off of that table.
If you would like to know species which Coracias cyanogaster have been housed with along with details about aviary size, foliage height and density, and institution…
- Create a query using wizard
- Select ‘species selection A-E’ table and select the fields ‘species tried’ and ‘Coracias cyanogaster’
- Select ‘aviary specifications’ table and select the fields ‘Institution’, ‘size’, ‘foliage density’, and ‘foliage height’
- Select finish